Re: Would you be angry?

Subject: Re: Would you be angry?
From: "Race, Paul D" <racepa -at- WHQPOS4B -dot- DAYTONOH -dot- ATTGIS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 10:32:49 -0600

You are right to be angry. I would be furious.

Still, take it out on dartboard or whatever. Remain calm and business-like
in all your doings, but keep your fury out of the office. Telling the guy
he's a jerk (even when you change jobs) will feel good at the moment but may
come back to haunt you. Getting into a rut of having a permanently bad
attitude at work will earn you a reputation of being hard to work with, EVEN
among people with whom you work well. You'll need to retain a good
reputation because some of those people will be references for your future
position.

In order to keep your workload at bay and still feel like you're making
progress, you might want to schedule yourself an hour a day or some such to
work on some self-improvement or job-search activity, and just work that
much harder the rest of the time. That way, you'll progress toward your
goal without it being so obvious that you're looking for a way out.

When you do announce your intention to take another position, put a REAL
positive spin on it - this is a growth opportunity, or you wanted to expand
into a new field, etc. Don't let it get down to personalities.

Your VP will get his when he finds out that, due to the learning curve of
your replacement, it will take 2 people to do your job, at least for the
first several months.

Best of all, work your butt off, put in that special effort, make yourself
indispensible in the next few months, so your leaving (in good spirits and
smiles all around, of course) has the maximum impact on the organization.
Offer to train your replacement, or to come in nights and weekends on a
contract basis ($50/hr or whatever) until the replacement is up to speed, if
you want. Your best revenge is knowing that he will get his when he tries
to bring a new person up to speed on everything you're working on- -of
course by the time he realizes what you're worth, you'll be gone. But don't
let that worry you--why do you want to work for this idiot anyway?

Like they say in Roger Rabbit, "Smile, Darn Ya, Smile."

Have a very nice day.
----------
From: Richard Anderson
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Subject: Would you be angry?
Date: Tuesday, August 22, 1995 7:26AM

I am livid and haven't been able to focus since being humiliated
yesterday.

In our weekly developers mtg, it was announced by the company VP that
effective next month, all developers will receive a standard raise of x
amount across the board in order for our company to remain competitive.
Sorry Richard, he said, this does not include you.

In an attempt to save face, I later showed this VP the recent STC salary
survey. He basically ignored it.

Today, I will begin updating my resume.