Feature vs. Function

Subject: Feature vs. Function
From: John Bell <jbell -at- LCCINC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 14:02:18 -0400

I'm trying to write a style guide for my department. This forces
me to evaluate my own writing and that of others. One issue I'm
facing is: What terms do you use to describe the elements of a
software product? The most popular terms I've seen are "feature"
and "function". For example:
Use the AFPlanner feature to do .......
If you need to blipple, use the Filter function.

I'm leaning towards using "feature" to describe large attributes
of the product, the kind of attributes that appear in a product
brochure. I'd then use "function" to describe a minor ability
that performs a small, specific action.

I've also seen the term "command" used in this context.

What are your thoughts? Feature/Function/Command/Other?

Send all email to jbell -at- lccinc -dot- com
If public reaction warrants, I'll post a digest of the answers.

--- John Bell
Publications Manager
LCC L.L.C.
"Don't take life so seriously. You can't get out of
it alive anyway." - Walt Kelly, creator of Pogo