Re: HELP: Your forays into hypermedia

Subject: Re: HELP: Your forays into hypermedia
From: Chet Ensign <Chet_Ensign%LDS -at- NOTES -dot- WORLDCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 19:44:05 EDT

Peggy Thomson writes,

>> I may be getting into a hypermedia project soon--using authoring
>> tools (I know not which) to create online help and online
>> documentation using SGML tagging.

Just from the SGML point of view, I'll suggest that one of your biggest mental
switches will be to start thinking about the material you are creating in terms
of the identities and structures of the components instead of their formats.
Whoever you are working for should provide you with a glossary or library of
the component elements of the piece and give you information on how they relate
to one another and what the purpose of active elements are.

For example, there may be several types of cross-references and links and each
may have a different function in the final hypermedia product. You need to know
about that up front. Also, the product may have a very different organizational
scheme than a book would have -- educational components, interactive/testing
components, explanatory material. You need to know how these are going to
relate, what the different pieces of each of them are, etc.

It will be a switch. But I bet it turns out to be fun.

Best,

/chet

Chet Ensign
Director of Electronic Documentation
Logical Design Solutions
571 Central Avenue http://www.lds.com
Murray Hill, NJ 07974 censign -at- lds -dot- com [email]
908-771-9221 [Phone] 908-771-0430 [FAX]