Re: Grammar Question

Subject: Re: Grammar Question
From: Jeffrey Pittman <Jpittman49 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 20:33:52 -0400

In a message dated 95-08-28 12:10:24 EDT, WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM (Bill Burns)
writes:

>Verbs that take a direct object are transitive verbs. I used to think that
>"display" was strictly transitive, but it's now acceptable (according to
some
>dictionaries) to use it without an object (for example, "The paragraph
>designer window displays").

Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't "displays", as used in the
above sentence, the plural of the noun, display (display...-n. 2. Anything
that is exhibited or displayed. -- American Heritage Dictionary.)? To be a
verb, the sentence would have to be rewritten, "The paragraph designer window
displays elan." I suppose one would visit a paragraph designer window at a
technical writing trade show. : )
Grammatically yours,
J.P.