Computer Phobias -- Overcome!

Subject: Computer Phobias -- Overcome!
From: Marcia Coulter <notjust -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 10:23:42 -0700

About 10 years ago -- when computers were considerably less friendly
than they are now -- my mother, a school secretary was faced with the
need to learn to use computers. She was frantic! "I'll never understand
those things."

Mom immediately calmed down when my then-husband (Ken) said:

"Using a computer is like driving a car. You don't have to
understand how it works to drive it."

With that thought in mind, Mom tackled the nasty thing again
and....Let's just say that now, my 66 year old mother is somewhat of a
computer geek. She still says she doesn't understand it (wouldn't fit
with her self-image), but she set up and maintains church records, etc.
Couldn't keep her off it.

I've used Ken's comparison often since then, and nearly always with
good results. Most people *do* learn to drive; most people *don't* work
on their cars enough to have any sort of in-depth understanding of
them.

Marcia Coulter
notjust -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com