Re: marquee - jargon or tech term???

Subject: Re: marquee - jargon or tech term???
From: Bill Burns <WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 16:38:29 MDT

Sue asks:

>Question -- will an audience of programmers understand
>marquee? If not, should I use the term anyway and define
>it in the glossary? Or, should I *not* use the term at
>all - and if this is the case, what should I use to
>replace it???

The additional problem here is that the term "marquee" as it is commonly used
is completely different from the term as used in the Mac environment. I
wouldn't use terms like this unless they are very metaphorical. Also, Windows
comes with a Marquee screen saver. Programmers might not confuse the function
you're describing with a screen saver, but they might identify the name more
with the function of that screen saver or a sign of some type (to relay a
message) rather than a function that magnifies a screen.

Sorry if this passage is a bit convoluted. It's nearly 5:00, and my gray
matter is beginning to solidify. 8-Q

Bill Burns *
Assm. Technical Writer/Editor * LIBERTY, n. One of imagination's most
Micron Technology, Inc. * precious possessions.
Boise, ID *
WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM * Ambrose Bierce