Re: WYSIWYG vs. tags

Subject: Re: WYSIWYG vs. tags
From: Pat Madea <madea -at- MMSI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 14:48:40 MST

Arlen,

You posted

<snip,snip>

>Funny. I've always seen that as a major *flaw* in Word Perfect, that it
allowed
>you to screw up a document to the point where you couldn't get it unscrewed
>without resorting to working with the actual formatting codes. Let's face
it:
>the only time "view codes" is necessary is when the word processor has
either
>put a code in the wrong spot, or not removed the entire doe when you changed
the
>format. That's just plain bad programming. I've worked in four other WYSIWYG
>word processors, and none of them *ever* let me get into a position where I
>needed anything like "view codes" to untangle the mess. Only Word Perfect
was so
>badly written as to make something like that necessary.

And I have to disagree insofar as getting "...into a mess where I
needed anything like "view codes" to untangle the mess."

I use FM4 now and I'm forever trying to determine where the BOLD/bold
codes are or the UNDERLINE/underline or FONT/font codes in the line of
text so I can position my cursor appropriately, especially when I want
to delete them. Reveal codes in WP allowed me to see them and handle
them appropriately. Unfortunately, I'm sure many of my FM documents
have more than a few "hidden" code pairs sprinkled throughout them.

madea // madea -at- mmsi -dot- com