Software development: they must let us in!

Subject: Software development: they must let us in!
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 13:31:03 LCL

Hello Len,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Len Olszewski an All am 30.08.95

LO> While documentation is not software, the line between the two
LO> continues to blur.

The user can't tell the difference, unless (s)he is very computer-literate.

LO> Online documentation that must ship with a product for it to be
LO> usable makes this a moot point; the writing process must
LO> integrate with the development process

...e.g. to get a consistant terminology between user interface and
documentation. Developers tend to stick to their "internal" names.

LO> if both are to ship simultaneously -

Not only then. You must design interfaces between the user interface, the
online docunmentaion (to be designed during the developement process) and the
manual.

LO> especially
LO> if the help must compile on a variety of platforms.

That makes everything even more difficult, as your program and online
documentation must conform to several style guides and technical conditions at
the same time.

The checklist I mentioned in my last message deals exactly with this problem.
You can obtain it by sending an empty message to onlchecklist -at- twh -dot- msn -dot- sub -dot- org -dot-

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander