Re: Dignified Term

Subject: Re: Dignified Term
From: Steve Wax <stevewx -at- ESKIMO -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 1995 22:58:56 -0700

Len Olszewski writes:

>"Cornelisen, Renee @ SLG" <RCORNEL -at- slc -dot- unisysgsg -dot- com> wrote:
>>Bev needs a dignified term for when the "unit hangs".

>There *is* no dignified way to express this. Picture yourself
>on a network with your co-workers, and your own computer
>terminal or workstation fails to respond. Then see yourself
>going from cubicle to cubicle asking "Are you hung?"

The unit can also "lock up" or "freeze." Going from cubicle to cubicle
asking "Are you locked up?" might simply be taken as a description of a
standard day at the office, but it is rather less, umm, loaded than "Are you
hung?" Of course, "Are you frozen?" is entirely devoid of innuendo unless
someone replies, "No, I'm hung," engendering yet another assault on dignity.

--Steve (stevewx -at- eskimo -dot- com)

"I suppose they will all want dignity." -- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.