Re: SGML Author for Word

Subject: Re: SGML Author for Word
From: Chet Ensign <Chet_Ensign%LDS -at- NOTES -dot- WORLDCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1995 09:33:29 EDT

Debi,

What do you want to do with SGML Author. It could be that, if you have
customized your copy of Word extensively, that accounts for some of the trouble
you are having. I must admit, I've not had those problems.

Word handed back an error file because that's how it is supposed to work when
the writer has done something with styles in his/her doc (such as using the
para-title style in the middle of a paragraph) that is not supported in the
DTD. However, you'd think that the sample file provided would not have those
problems.

>>Any suggestions for better add-ons to Word that support
>> .doc-to-.SGML and the reverse?

Microstar in Ottawa is developing a product called ??? Can't believe this! I
have forgotten its name completely. Well, it uses the graphic DTD interface
from their DTD design tool to drive Word as an interactive SGML authoring
environment. I beta tested it and I liked it much better than SGML Author.
Especially nice was the feature that enabled you to see where you were in the
document's structure from the element map.

For info on whatever-it's-called, check out www.microstar.com (I can't believe
this! I've even had my first cup of coffee.

Best regards,

/chet

Chet Ensign
Logical Design Solutions
571 Central Avenue http://www.lds.com
Murray Hill, NJ 07974 censign -at- lds -dot- com [email]
908-771-9221 [Phone] 908-771-0430 [FAX]