Books on how to write software specs?

Subject: Books on how to write software specs?
From: 71024 -dot- 3571 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1995 22:00:04 GMT

We have some new writers in our tech pubs department.
They were hired to write software specifications (technical as well as
functional).
Are there any publications that describe how to write software specs?

I know that there's a lot of variation out there and that I seem to be looking
for a "cookbook" answer, but anything would help in terms of getting them
started and oriented in the right direction.

Thanks for your help. Please reply by e-mail to 71024 -dot- 3571 -at- compuserve -dot- com
if possible.

Elaine Stoll