Re: [Fwd: Re: Exercises for Students]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Exercises for Students]
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 1995 17:09:28 -0600

> > My favorite student exercise is to write a set of instructions on how to
> >tie a pair of shoes.
> [...]

I've use the paper airplanes exercise (create one and then write
instructions so someone else can duplicate your plane). I've also used
variations on the shoe tying. One year I had my students write
instructions for putting on a jacket as if the person reading the
instructions had never seen a jacket before.

Another good one is to write instructions for making a cake.

It is always fun to see what happens when the students have to actually
follow the instructions as written. With the cake, if the instructions
didn't say to crack the egg and discard the shell--or to shell the nuts
before using them, they went in whole. Makes for an interesting dish!

One of my colleagues used Leggos in various assortment. The students had
to build something with the Leggos and write down the instructions for
recreating it.

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu