Re: Justified vs. ragged right text

Subject: Re: Justified vs. ragged right text
From: "William H. Price" <afn02078 -at- FREENET3 -dot- FREENET -dot- UFL -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 06:51:42 GMT

In <437aad$m7c -at- newsbf02 -dot- news -dot- aol -dot- com>, techwriter -at- aol -dot- com (TechWriter) wrote:

<snipped and clipped>

T> Does anyone have strong preferences one way or another. Can anyone cite
T> definitive information showing why one might be prefereble? Does anyone
T> prefer one style while operating under a style guide that uses the other?

I cannot cite chapter and verse, but I remember a reasonably old
dissertation on the subject. As I remember, ragged right was perceived
as less 'mechanical' in business letters. Memory says dissertation
also held that san serif type more attention getting than serif; and
daisy wheel printer output regarded as 'more genuine' than laser printer.

Personally, I prefer ragged right in letters.

Hope this helps.

William H. Price