[Fwd: Re: telecommuting -- social costs ?]

Subject: [Fwd: Re: telecommuting -- social costs ?]
From: Matt Ion <mion -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 07:59:32 PDT

=========BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE=========
> Date: Mon, 18 Sep 95 07:59:08 PDT
> From: mion -at- nextlevel -dot- com (Matt Ion)
> To: rgcolon -at- mailbox -dot- syr -dot- edu
> Subject: Re: telecommuting -- social costs ?

On Mon, 18 Sep 1995 10:27:44 -0400 you wrote:

>> But I'm kind of curious about the social costs -- particularly as it
>> relates to somewhat impersonal world of e-mail. Has anyone ever done a
>> study or done research?

>The social cost is greater than we care to think about.

That depends on what part of society you're most concerned about...

>This has been
>an era of continuous change, and we have not noticed the things we have
>lost along the way. We have changed our working environment to a less
>social environment, which involves less personal activities among the
>co-workers. It is the lillte things in life that change things the most.

That it is... and the little thing in my life is my five-year-old son. Aside
from the fact that I have to be around to take him to school at 9am (my wife
works 3:30am to noon), it also means I get to see a lot more of him,
especially on school days off and at his lunch breaks (school is only three
blocks away).

Of course, other little things that count even more these days is every
dollar. And what I can save in commuting (not to mention daycare) adds up to
quite a difference too.

Opinions expressed / ROCK-IT SCIENCE Mobile Audio and Security
do not necessarily /| ...the 1040 MIDI & Music BBS Technical Services
reflect those of any [ SOUNDMAN Internet mion -at- direct -dot- ca Fido 1:153/7106
marginally sane human \| WWW http://www.nextlevel.com/
being anywhere. \ FAX: (604)253-8312 DATA: (604)732-4446

=========END FORWARDED MESSAGE=========