Restricting Access to TECHWR-L

Subject: Restricting Access to TECHWR-L
From: Eric_Ray -at- WILTEL -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 09:03:23 PDT

Gang,

I am seriously considering restricting access to TECHWR-L to
only allow subscribers to post. This would eliminate the problems
with spam and our latest obnoxious anonymous poster, but would
also somewhat restrict postings from those of us with flaky
E-mail addresses. For example, the list thinks I'm Eric_Ray -at- PC03786 -dot- wiltel -dot- com
so I could continue to post from here. If I were reading my mail from
any other machine here--same account, different physical machine,
I couldn't post.

Usenet or NetNews posters might or might not be able to post,
depending on how I implement it. Not allowing postings
from USENET would be most effective, but also the biggest pain. Usenet
readers would have to mail directly to TECHWR-L, rather than posting
through bit.listserv.techwr-l.

I'm looking for opinions on this. It will probably fix an irritating
problem, but will potentially cause different ones. If you have an
issue to discuss about this, please post to the list. If it's just a
simply Restrict/Do not restrict opinion, please send to me off-line.

BTW, interestingly, I found the anon postings about list-relevant topics
more objectionable than the spam. Spam I delete, but the other ones
really bother me.

Eric

Eric J. Ray | Eric_Ray -at- Wiltel -dot- com
WorldCom, Inc. | W: 918-588-4140
1 Williams Center 29-5 | F: 918-588-2372
Tulsa, Oklahoma 74172 | P: 918-690-1314
Web: http://www.wiltel.com/