Re: technical background

Subject: Re: technical background
From: "Kahn, Stacey" <skahn -at- WB -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 11:10:43 U

Kris (KJOlberg -at- AOL -dot- COM) uses the phrase "different subject matters" to describe
the wide variety of systems (e.g., sales tracking, CD/retirement, security) she
documented for a bank.

This isn't quite how I've been understanding the concept of subject matter
expertise.

Maybe part of the reason we're seeing such a wide range of opinions on the
level of SM expertise we need, is that we're basing our opinions on all sorts
of different understandings of what expertise *is*.

So...

When we discuss the technical background a TW needs or doesn't need, what
specifically are we talking about? Knowing how to document, say,
computer-related stuff? software? application software? Database applications?
Personnel databases? Or knowing how to develop/program [which one]? Or knowing
how [which one] is designed, conceptually? Or having power-used a wide variety
of [which one]?... Or what? How specific? How technical?

Stacey Kahn
SKahn -at- wb -dot- com
speaking for myself and not for my employers