Re: Writing vs. Marketing?

Subject: Re: Writing vs. Marketing?
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 07:27:48 PDT

Writing it the process of expressing thought alphabetically. Marketing
is the process of taking goods and services to market. They are in
no way mutually exclusive.

TECHNICAL WRITING tells a user how to use a product. MARKETING WRITING
convinces him that he might want to BUY a product. The two goals
can be accomplished in a single document if the product is simple
enough. And, of course, technical writing should never undermine
the company's marketing position. The reader can infer that the
marketing department is full of it, but the writer should never
actually state this in the manual.

-- Robert

Robert Plamondon * High-Tech Technical Writing
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (503) 453-5841
"I regret that I have but one * for my country." -- Nathan Hale