2-fer: Frame v. Page & scan/ocr

Subject: 2-fer: Frame v. Page & scan/ocr
From: Fred Wersan <fwersan -at- SYBASE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 16:37:54 PDT

Two useless opinions in one email message!

FrameMaker v. PageMaker: Why not call Adobe and ask them which one they think
you
should buy? :-)

Scanner/OCR software - HP's seem to own the market and in my experience work
nicely.
The real question is color or grayscale. I recommend that you now skimp. Get a
color
scanner. As soon as its in the office everyone will want to scan in their photos
and
all manner of other things.

I haven't used OCR software. I saw an impressive demo of Textbridge at the
Seybold
affair in Boston last spring.

You can get a free download of an OCR program called Presto! from the Ziff-Davis
anonymous ftp setup. It has also been available off their web server
(http://www/ziff.com/ under the PC Mag area.) It is 3.7 MB. I downloaded v 1.1
and it
installed fine. The latest version 1.3, wouldn't install right. I emailed to
Presto
support, but they didn't reply. I haven't actually tried it. I mostly just scan
in
color photos.
Fred Wersan
fwersan -at- sybase -dot- com