Re: Spammers

Subject: Re: Spammers
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 14:35:00 -0600

Can we say you can't spam on the internet but can on faxes? Why?
What is the difference?

Lots of differences. Every fax you send you have to pay the phone charges for
(unless your target's fax is on a WATS line, and I don't know of many that are).
I would suggest that the phone charges far outweigh the paper and printing costs
(here a local call costs 9 cents while our fax machine paper is about 2 cents
per page). And just imagine the long distance charges involved in faxing any
given hundred of the members of this list. Each fax message you send out takes a
specific amount of time, and the cost, both in phone charges and time required
expands linearly with the number of recipients. (At least I've never heard of
conference-call faxing.)

And one more thing. The state legislature of Wisconsin was recently considering
making unsolicited fax advertising illegal.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124