Re: Spammers

Subject: Re: Spammers
From: Matt Ion <mion -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 01:52:24 PDT

On Mon, 25 Sep 1995 16:35:00 -0400 you wrote:

>And one more thing. The state legislature of Wisconsin was recently considering
>making unsolicited fax advertising illegal.

I wish they'd do something like that here in BC. There's a company
locally that produces CD-ROMs containing nothing but fax numbers for
businesses in BC and/or specific regions thereof, all nicely
categorized. And they send out faxes to advertise this. I received
three on my PERSONAL fax line within two weeks.

Both of the first two times, I sent simply, polite replies asking not
to receive any more junk faxes from the.

The last time around, I simply loaded it into FaxWorks, inverted it
(white on black - it was obvious they faxed a hardcopy, rather than
straight from a computer, and this would do wonders for their toner
bills), copied it to about 20 pages, and sent it back with a cover
page saying simply, "If I receive any more JUNK faxes from you people,
I will SHOW you the TRUE meaning of *JUNK FAX*".

Then I schedule it to resend every hour on the hour over the course of
that business day.

Happily, I have not heard another peep from them since.

Windows 95 FIXPACK now available! http://www.austin.ibm.com for more info!
"Maybe all I need, besides my pills and surgery
is a new metaphor for reality..." - Queensr che