Re: spelling question: user-interface or user interface ??

Subject: Re: spelling question: user-interface or user interface ??
From: Matt Ion <mion -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 20:27:33 PDT

On Tue, 26 Sep 1995 15:26:42 -0400 you wrote:

>>Radha asks:
>>I'd like to know what you folks out there prefer.
>>"user-interface" or "user interface"?
>How about avoiding this jargon? Presuming that you are writing about
>software, why not use the words _screen_ or _menu_ instead? It may sound
>old-fashioned, but at least all your readers will know what you are
>referring to and the techno-phobes will feel a bit more comfortable.

In keeping with our cardinal rule (Remember your audience!), perhaps "user
interface" IS the appropriate term for what Radha's writing. I missed the
original question, but in your quote at least, there's no mention of who the
target audience is.

Besides, "user interface" can be used in a wide variety of places, not just
software/hardware manuals. The "user interface" of a car, for example,
consists of the steering wheel; gas, brake, and sometimes clutch pedals; the
gear shift; and the instrument panel. :-)

Windows 95 FIXPACK now available! http://www.austin.ibm.com for more info!
"Maybe all I need, besides my pills and surgery
is a new metaphor for reality..." - Queensr che