Re: politically correct writing

Subject: Re: politically correct writing
From: Rose Wilcox <RWILC -at- FAST -dot- DOT -dot- STATE -dot- AZ -dot- US>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 12:37:00 PDT

Jennifer innocently asks:
>I have a question regarding being politically correct in writing
>documents especially pr writing.
>How important is it to be politically correct in pr writing?

Everybody duck!

>Is it ever taken to the extreme?
>Has it become a problem in writing public relations documents?

Sorry to be so flip, Jennifer. We've had some loonnngg drawnout PR in tech
writing threads on this list before.

I would have to say first: define what you mean by PC.
Second, read some books about PC-related writing issues. One that I am
aware of that tends to trod middle ground, pointing out both sides of the
issues is: "The Politically Correct Phrasebook. What *they say* you can and
cannot say in the 1990s" by Nigel Rees.

Answers to the second two questions: yes and yes.

Good luck!
Rosie A. Wilcox (the A stands for ACK! Not the PC Thread Again!)
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us