Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 9 Oct 1995 to 10 Oct 1995

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 9 Oct 1995 to 10 Oct 1995
From: Frank Harper <Frank -dot- Harper -at- ES -dot- ATL -dot- SITA -dot- INT>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 07:36:17 PDT

--------------original message------------------
Kumar Jamdagni <Jamdagni -dot- Kumar -at- UNIFACE -dot- NL> writes:

Has anyone experienced problems with fonts being unavailable when copying files
(templates) from Frame4 on a UNIX machine to Frame4 under Windows. The strange
thing is is that it happens on some PCs and not on others, despite the
installation being identical (we thought!). The problem arises when we try to
open a template originally created under UNIX, in Frame under Windows. Error
message:

"Document <docname> uses unavailable fonts. To reformat the document using
available fonts click OK"

----------End of Original Message----------

This problem is most likely because the PC does not have Adobe fonts installed.
The Unix version of FM4 comes standard with Adobe fonts - Times, Helvetica, etc.
The Windows version uses the fonts that come standard with Windows - Truetype
Times Roman, Arial, etc. Although Adobe Times and Truetype Times Roman are
essentially identical, they are different and the system must translate one to
the other.

The solution is to buy the additional font package from Adobe with the standard
fonts - the last I checked was about $50. My FM4 package came with a card that
let me order the package. Check your FM4 package for a similar card.

Perhaps, since Adobe has purchased Frame Technologies, they will begin including
the standard Adobe fonts with all versions of FrameMaker. We can only hope <;)

Frank Harper
Independent Tech Writer
Atlanta, GA
hfharper -at- pobox -dot- com