Re: How much educating do your 'clients' need?

Subject: Re: How much educating do your 'clients' need?
From: Gwen Barnes <gwen -dot- barnes -at- MUSTANG -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 22:12:51 GMT

-> My question to the list: How can we work together to educate higher
-> management on the value we add to projects? Then, can we suggest ways they
-> can implement that education?

You can try, but my impression of the situation is that nothing will
happen to educate higher management until it becomes a "bottom line"
issue. They may be willing to hear from people within the organization,
but more often it will be their competitors that drive them to it.

If your organization has an "innovative" style of management, listens
to customers, and empowers employees to serve the customers as the first
priority rather than the organization, then talking to management about
quality documentation as part of a quality product makes good sense.

If the organization is mainly concerned with organizational things and
puts the customers at a lower priority, the only likely outcome if you
attempt to "educate" them will be animosity. It's like trying to reform
a drunkard all by yourself. Doesn't work, never will, and the only thing
that reforms a person is that person.

Choose the right company to work with, and management will solicit your
expertise because they consider you a valuable, useful part of the team.

Cheers, @DISCLAIMER@
Gwen gwen -dot- barnes -at- mustang -dot- com
http://www.mustang.com ftp://ftp.mustang.com
MSI * Connecting the world 805-873-2500