Re: MS Word & BMP's

Subject: Re: MS Word & BMP's
From: Matt Ion <mion -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 1995 21:07:52 PDT

On Sat, 14 Oct 1995 23:29:25 -0400 you wrote:

>Got a user's manual am just finishing for draft delivery Mon. Has about 30
>..bmp's of screen captures in it and currently runs about 13 Mb. Sat around
>3-4 hrs Fri WIATING for Word to do things like tweak margins/header location,
>saving, etc. Am using a 90 Mhz Pentium with 16 Mb RAM!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows. "Hurry up and wait" is Microsoft's
second-favourite slogan (right after, "If you can't make it good, make it LOOK
good." :-)

>What's the best way of incorporating the .bmp's that won't bog down the
>system?

Try using a smaller image format... GIFs should be substantially smaller with
little or no loss of quality. Compressed TIFs should work as well, with
slightly less space savings.

Windows 95 FIXPACK now available!
http://www.austin.ibm.com/pspinfo/os2.html for more info!
"Maybe all I need, besides my pills and surgery
is a new metaphor for reality..." - Queensr che