Re: Correct usage of "quadrants"

Subject: Re: Correct usage of "quadrants"
From: Josee Sevigny <joseey -at- M3ISYSTEMS -dot- QC -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 18:43:08 -0500

-- [ From: Josee Sevigny * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Geoff Hart wanted the correct term for:

> to refer to one of six square regions on a nomogram (a form
> of data graphic, also called an alignment chart. The author
> uses the word "quadrant" to refer to the region, but I've
> pointed out that a quadrant, strictly speaking, refers only
> to one of four regions, not one of six. (That's based on

According to Webster, what you're looking for is a sextant. I know, must of
us are used to this word for a navigational instrument, but it also means a
sixth of a circle (or plane).

According to Larousse (which is not the best source but that the one I have
on hand right now), it sextant as well (same spelling).

Hope it helps!

--
\\|//
(o o)