Re: Correct usage of "quadrants"

Subject: Re: Correct usage of "quadrants"
From: Helen Hegelheimer <hxh -at- FORMTEK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 19:21:06 -0400

According to our inhouse French speaking engineer - "the French would
tend to use the *strict* definition of quadrant since their language is
more closely tied to latin". Her casual comment is "quadrant means
four regardless of how you count" :)

I tend to agree - Quadrant seems to be one of those words we (american
speaking) have misused to the point of being accepted as "any specific area".
I would be as concerned as you about misuse of a word that is being
translated.

Helen Hegelheimer
Lead Technical Writer
Formtek, Palo Alto, CA