Asimov

Subject: Asimov
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 1995 12:22:47 -0700

>I am reminded of Isaac Asimov's plaintive wail over "teachers" at
>every level requiring students to "Write to an author and ask them
>a question or find out how they get ideas" or similar.

When I was in high school in the 1950s I tried without much success to write
science fiction. No teachers were involved, but I did once write to Asimov
-- not to ask where his ideas came from, but to put forward my ideas about
the mechanisms of cancer.

My ideas were pretty puerile, but he wrote back politely, assuring me that
the best minds were exploring every avenue of cancer research. ...RM

Richard Mateosian http://www.c2.org/~srm/ President, Berkeley STC
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro