Re: FW: company selling email addresses

Subject: Re: FW: company selling email addresses
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 1995 23:19:05 -0600

On Sat, 21 Oct 1995, Delaney, Misti wrote:

> "These are email address of individuals who are actively using the
> Internet to obtain and transfer information. They have demonstrated
> a substantial interest in specific area of information on the Internet.
> They are regularly accessing information in their interest areas from
> newsgroups, Internet chats and websites.... The file is anticipated
> to grow at the rate of 250,000 E Mail addresses per month, all with
> Interest selections."

> Mail me and I'll forward the complete text of the posting. I also got a
> really wonderful letter that my source sent back to these jerks, and I have
> his permission to post it to anyone who is interested.

Considering the fact that mailing list compilers are buying lists from
magazines, mail order companies, and just about anyone who will sell them
a client list, why should this surprise anyone? It's unfortunate, but
the only real surprise is that it took them so long to get around to this
type of thing. :( I don't know whether there is anyway to stop it, or
not. But like Misti, I resent this newest intrusion.

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu