Re: OLE and WinHelp

Subject: Re: OLE and WinHelp
From: "Doug, Data Librarian at Ext 4225" <engstromdd -at- PHIBRED -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 07:57:36 -0500

Ron:

This is written in reply to:

***********************
I have a client that wants to use WinHelp as a document management system.
Yes, I have told them there are better tools for this, but they want to use
WinHelp because all of their users are familiar with it, so they don't need
to pay license fee or train their substantial user base.
************************
Actually, those are pretty good reasons to go with WinHelp, IMHO.

************************
That said, I used the Execprogram macro to run Word and open a document; no
problem. The problem is that their end users will have Word in a different
location--some locally on a hard drive, while others on a network with
different network drives possible--so I can't be sure where Word (or the
other executables) will reside or if it is in their path statement already
(which apparently is unlikely).
************************
We faced this problem in another department here. It's apparently a
fairly simple matter to create a custom function that will find WinWord by
reading Word's .INI file. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly how it's
done, and can't share the code since it belongs to the company, not to me.

************************
So, we were wondering if you could create an OLE link so that the system
determines the file type automatically and simply runs the program.
I pursued the question of WinHelp's OLE compliance for other reasons, and
I've been told by multiple, knowledgeable sources that WinHelp is not OLE
compliant at any level. Go figure.

Skoal,

Doug "No one gets to miss the storm of What Will Be,
ENGSTROMDD -at- phibred -dot- com just holding on for the ride."

-- The Indigo Girls

The preceding opinions and positions are mine alone, and are only
coincidentally related to those of Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc.