Re: Help File Colors and Icons

Subject: Re: Help File Colors and Icons
From: "Gallagher, Susan" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 17:09:38 -0700

Karen R. wants to know...

1) What are the color settings (RGB) to get that *lovely* green for
jumps in Help? (255 green looks too "neon" ... is that just my
monitor?)

The hyperlink green is standard dark green -- red0/green128/blue0 -- but I
can't figure out why you want to know! Formatting hyperlinks in any of the
help authoring tools sets the colors automagically. Creating a doc file in
Word, you just need to select Dk. Green as the font color. And in an .rtf
file, it should be color definition number 11 in the color table (at least,
it is in mine).

2) If I don't want to (can't) draw all of the images we need in a Help
file, can I manipulate pictures from other sources? What sources? No
one here knows the legal answer to this ... how do others handle this
issue? (Although everyone's a comedian, everyone can't be an artist!)
:)

Well, I try to be both (a comedian and an artist). ;-)

I'm not sure what you need as far as images for your help file. If you'd
just like to add some color and distinguish reference from procedural
topics...

1. Take a screen shot of the product icon and paste it into paintbrush.

2. Find appropriate Wingding or Zapf Dingbat characters and type them into
paintbrush in a fairly large point size. Add color to the dingbat and drag
it over the top of the product icon so it's offset just a little bit.

3. Copy the whole thing and color it grey, then drag the color pic over the
grey pic for an instant shadow.

4. Select the new graphic with the pic tool, then select Edit > Copy To
from the menu to create a small graphic file.

5. To compensate for different size graphics on the same 'page' in your help
file, put them in a table. The descriptive text in the second column lines
up perfectly.

Viola!!!

Good luck, and if you need any more help, let me know.

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com