Developing basic writing courses for a company

Subject: Developing basic writing courses for a company
From: Julie Deutz <Julie_Deutz -dot- GPS -at- GPS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 10:13:26 EDT

Hi all:

I'm a senior editor at a mid-sized accounting software company. I'm planning to
develop a basic writing course for everyone in the company-- from
administrative types to salespeople to software engineers and support
personnel. My goal is to teach employees to write documentation, letters,
e-mails, instructions and policies quickly, clearly and concisely. I want to
develop and teach this course because I strongly believe that our company could
save a lot of time if people said what they meant. I want the training (2-4
hours) to include many interactive lessons.

I'm looking for ideas on:
Organization of the course
E-mail etiquette: how to build relationships, sell ideas and create a positive
image with words
Common writing problems and mistakes

Any advice, comments or direction would be appreciated! You can e-mail me
directly or respond to the entire list if you think your comments are valuable
to all subscribers.

Thanks,
Julie Deutz
Senior Editor, Great Plains Software