Re: WWW Image maps

Subject: Re: WWW Image maps
From: Stuart Reynolds <stuartr -at- FIRSTGRAPHICS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 09:38:13 -0500

-- [ From: Stuart Reynolds * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

> The most common use you will see on the Web itself, though, is to
implement
> menu screens. Putting my asbestos suit on ... I've always felt this was a
very
> lazy habit. HTML provides you with a wealth of features for forms: pick
lists,
> radio buttons ... it just takes a little work to write the 'back end' part
(but
> there is some excellent shareware around that will get you off to a flying
> start for this ... like Polyform for MS-Windows). This has an extra
advantage -
> most image map handlers (imagemap, etc.) require the sysop to intervene
when
> you want to add an image map, but if you use forms you can keep a lot of
the
> processing under your own control.

1> Nothing lazy about creating an imagemap. Graphical layout. of course just
usign a cnaned photograph with no amnipulation or editing to create
soemthing a bit more specific and unique to the web site, is, I guess, a
little lazy.
2> Forms are fine, but provid no graphical representation or impact. The
last thign I'd want on a home page to start "surfing" around site, is a form

3> One graphic for an image map, allows for closer"packing" of the image(s)
and takes less time to load, than the 3,4 or maybe more images, that make up
the iamge map file.
4> What ddo oumean the imagmap file requires teh sysop to intervene? You
don't know how to write the referencename_to_image_file.map file? And there
is nothing "simple" about creating rectangular "zones".
5> there are also a few form creation programs (MS Windows), that make it as
easy to create a forma s it is to create an imagemap.
6> Personally, I wouldn't want to go to www.microsoft.com and be greeted
with a form.
7> Eric.. just out of curiosity...Is this an ok subject to be discussing on
the tech list?

Stui