Re: One sourcing--request for informatio

Subject: Re: One sourcing--request for informatio
From: "Huber, Mike" <Mike -dot- Huber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 15:29:36 -0500

RE:
>My name is Keith Anderson. I am a technical writer (actually was, I am
back
in school finishing up my senior year). I am especially interesting the
subject of one source documentation. When I say "one source" I literally
mean a document which can be used for any and all of the following: hard
copy long and short, Windows help, WWW pages (HTML), and even
cross-platform.

There are some difficulties with "one source:"

1) Each of the media you mention have different strengths and weaknesses:

for example, a hard copy page can hold a lot of information, especially
graphics,
but cross references are a pain in the butt for a reader to use. Web
pages can
be up-to-the-second, but may be slow to load.

2) The purpose and target audience of each of the media items are
different, and require different levels of detail, vocabulary, etc. For
example, a
magazine ad and a data sheet require different approaches.

Still, there is a great deal of material that would seem reusable.

----------
Here's a request for assistance from a visitor to my Web site. I am also
be
interested in how some of you would respond.

BTW I appreciate the recommendations for improving my new Web site from
those of you who have visited it. Hopefully it will keep evolving into
something more worthwhile as time goes on and I get more feedback.

Bob Elston

>From: Michael Keith Anderson <mka -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com>
>To: "'belston -at- deltanet -dot- com'" <belston -at- deltanet -dot- com>
>Subject: One sourcing
>Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 23:29:42 -0500

>Mr. Elston:

>My name is Keith Anderson. I am a technical writer (actually was, I am
back
in school finishing up my senior year). I am especially interesting the
subject of one source documentation. When I say "one source" I literally
mean a document which can be used for any and all of the following: hard
copy long and short, Windows help, WWW pages (HTML), and even
cross-platform.

>I am doing a senior project on this subject which is due at the end of
next
semester. I feel SGML is possibly the way to go but I am not sure. I
would
like to see some information about this subject on your page. Even
better,
can you put me in contact with some one who specializes in this area?

>I think your page is great and will visit it regularly. I may even have
something to contribute in the near future.

>Thanks

>Keith Anderson
>mka -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com

TECHNICAL WRITER'S HELP DESK
http://www.netwizards.com/techwrit
Tips, Techniques and Reflections on Technical Writing
(Participation Encouraged)
Bob Elston
belston -at- deltanet -dot- com