STC Articles Online

Subject: STC Articles Online
From: Michael Uhl <uhl -at- VISLAB -dot- EPA -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 08:53:19 -0500

Esteemed Colleagues:

I am the editor-in-chief, the team leader, for the _Carolina Communique_.
The _Communique_ is the monthly newsletter of the Carolina Chapter, STC.
My team and I post a World Wide Web version of the _Communique_ that we
call the _Carolina Cutter_. The _Cutter_ contains selected articles from
the _Communique_. We publish the articles in full.

It is highly inconsistent for the STC leadership to discourage publication
of newsletter articles on the Web. When I was Job Bank manager last year
for the Carolina Chapter, the rules stated that I could not discriminate
against non-members. I had to help anyone who called. The Carolina Chapter
holds meetings open to members and non-members alike, and we don't
charge anyone for admission. We also give away copies of the _Communique_
to prospective members.

BTW, I can't imagine many non-STC members or people uninterested in STC
reading the _Carolina Cutter_.

Our newsletter team looks at the Web pages as a way to promote STC membership,
not a way for people to avoid paying dues.

So, I ask the STC leaders out there: are we going to discriminate between
members and non-members, or aren't we? I'll go either way on this, as long
as we're consistent accross all STC activities.

The Carolina Chapter's home page is at

http://stc.org/region2/ncc/www/carolina_homepage.html

-Mike

Michael Andrew Uhl Internet: uhl -at- vislab -dot- epa -dot- gov
Lead Technical Writer Compuserve: 72624,2155
Scientific Vis. Center/NESC Phone: (919) 541-4283
Martin Marietta Technical Services, Inc. Fax: (919) 541-0056
Primary Support Contractor for the EPA ftp site: ftp.nesc.epa.gov
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Scientific Visualization Center (SVC),
National Environmental Supercomputing Center (NESC)
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)