Re. Keyboard vs. mouse

Subject: Re. Keyboard vs. mouse
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 13:06:20 LCL

Which is faster, the keyboard or the mouse? As always (all
together now!), "it depends". I find it damn near
impossible to type quickly with my mouse <grin>, but
selecting graphics with the keyboard is equally
inefficient. Menu commands are initially easier to do with
the mouse: it's faster to not lift your hands off the
keyboard then replace them. Then again, this is only true
if you have the keyboard equivalents memorized. I tend to
work with both: use the mouse to select text or graphics,
then apply a keyboard command with my left hand. In
Windows, I only use the mouse for odd commands or for menu
browsing; on the Mac I use the mouse for some menus, but
keyboard most commands.

Some specific examples of the application would help get
beyond these generalisations.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of our
reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.