PageMaker? what to do.

Subject: PageMaker? what to do.
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 14:34:00 +0100

Hello David,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von "David S. Broudy" an All am 01.11.95

"S> From: "David S. Broudy" <broudy -at- mizar -dot- usc -dot- edu>

"S> >use MS-Word or WordPerfect. The client said he needed the
"S> >manual written
"S> >in PageMaker. I told him I know hos to use PageMaker and I
"S> >could get it, but I don't have PageMaker now.

"S> >Well, that was the end of that potential client. He said "I
"S> >will find someone else." and hung up.

"S> I find it really annoying that some clients insist on Quark or
"S> Frame as
"S> well (I have Quark but not Frame nor have I ever used it). But
"S> that's the breaks in freelancing.

Many customers have sound reasons to insist on a specific program. They have
used it for some time, have gathered expertise, use it for all of their
documents und wish to update the manuals by themselves (or any of their usual
service providers).

If you are to change a manual, you cannot help but use the specific program.
In most cases, the few 100 $ for the program are only a small fraction of your
cost: You need some time to get the program running and to get used to it.
Your first job with it will hardly be top-notch.

If you are to write a manual, ther quite often is an acceptable work-around:
Get someone to do the DTP work and use an *older* editor like Word for DOS to
*write all text*. Many potential customers will accept that you do not use
every possible program on a dayly basis, but they insist on work done by a
professional. This need not be you.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander