Re: SyQuest or ZIP Drive?

Subject: Re: SyQuest or ZIP Drive?
From: Phil Teich <ctw -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 09:06:02 GMT

John Brush <brush -at- engrng -dot- pitt -dot- edu> wrote:

>I work in my company's publishing department, and I'm looking for a
>way to deliver large amounts of data to our printing vendors. It has
>been suggested that I buy a SyQuest drive, but what about these new
>ZIP drives? Any suggestions on what to purchase would be appreciated.

ZIP drives are hard to get because of the overwhelming demand. SyQuest
drives offer more capacity (135MB vs 100MB if I recall correctly) and
faster access (13ms vs 20ms) and faster thruput. The cost is about the
same for both. ZIP drives came out first, so demand developed for them
first. I have no information about reliability, durability, etc.

Developed is proceeding rapidly in this area. There is talk of an
amazing 1GB disks within a few years.

Something to consider is what media your printing vendors currently
can accept -- and what they are planning to accept.