Re: Zip drives

Subject: Re: Zip drives
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 09:06:00 -0400

Phil Teich answered John Brush's question about storage devices:
>ZIP drives are hard to get because of the overwhelming demand. SyQuest
>drives offer more capacity (135MB vs 100MB if I recall correctly) and
>faster access (13ms vs 20ms) and faster thruput. The cost is about the
>same for both. ZIP drives came out first, so demand developed for them
>first.

Actually, Syquest drives have been around for a long time. They come in
various flavors, from 44MB to 250MB. You may be thinking of the new EZ
drives, also make by Syquest.

Every service bureau and printer I deal with has Syquest drives. None have
either ZIP or EZ drives. Very few are considering buying the new drives
until the devices have been on the market for a year or more and their
reliability is proven. I strongly suggest that John talk with his printers
before buying -anything-, then get whatever format most of his vendors
use.

@Kat_____ Kat Nagel
MasterWork Consulting Services Rochester, NY
LIFE1 (techwriting/docdesign) katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
LIFE2 (vocal chamber music) PlaynSong -at- aol -dot- com