Re: Documentation Usability/Multiple-User Design

Subject: Re: Documentation Usability/Multiple-User Design
From: Gregory Keith <GKeith -at- DELRINA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 16:49:00 PST

Margie;

Welcome to the list. Regarding your questions about usability, I would think
the term was first applied to software and is now used in regard to
documentation usability as well, as a criterion of well-made documentation
sets. I've been exploring the questions around documentation usability
lately, and have some recommended titles from others:

USABILITY
A Practical Guide to Usability Testing, by Joseph S. Dumas and Janice C.
Redish, Ablex Publishing, 1993, ISBN: 0-89391-991-8, 412 pp., $27.50
(paper).

Usability Engineering, by Jakob Nielsen, Distinguished Engineer, SunSoft.
1993, Academic Press/AP Professional, Cambridge, MA. ISBN 0-12-518406-9
(paper).

Handbook of Usability Testing, by Jeffrey Rubin. 1994, John Wiley and Sons,
New York, NY. ISBN 0-471-59403-2 (paper). (Step-by-step guidelines for
conducting usability tests).

Greg

Gregory Keith
Technical Writer
The Delrina Group
Symantec Corporation
gkeith -at- delrina -dot- com

Seen on a VW Beetle's license plate in Silicon Valley: "FEATURE"