Monitor Radiation

Subject: Monitor Radiation
From: "Wollt, Richard C RV" <rcw1 -at- PO9 -dot- RV -dot- UNISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 08:31:00 CST

I don't feel qualified to comment on the color choice issue, but I must
comment on the
X-ray scare.

While working as an environmental problems troubleshooter for Sperry,
several customers raised the issue. We did a fairly extensive search of the
literature and found that, as in so many issues there was a lot more noise
being spread than data.

The best actual study involved taking monitors from several manufacturers to
the bottom of a salt mine (to reduce background radiation effects) and
measuring the X-ray intensity each monitor produced. Measurements were
taken with the monitors off, at normal intensity, at maximum intensity, and
with the high voltage regulator disabled so that the voltage was as high as
the unit could produce.

The results: It was impossible to detect any deviation from background
levels under any conditions.

The conclusion: Monitors, B/W or color, operating normally or with faulty
voltage regulators, do not produce x-rays or other ionizing radiation.

Regards,
Richard Wollt
rcw1 -at- rsvl -dot- unisys -dot- com