Re: Re[2]: couple of questions

Subject: Re: Re[2]: couple of questions
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 07:27:35 -0800

At 03:49 PM 11/10/95 -0500, Kris Olberg wrote:
>> beware! Programming is a skill of logic and precision.
>>
>>And writing *isn't*?

>My intention was to not mislead writers into believing that they have the
>innate ability to program. My experience with writers I have managed is that
>the majority do not. And that's why they're writers, not programmers.

I get Arlen's point. 'Logic and precision' are not the sole province of
programmers, despite what they would have us believe. I was told repeatedly
by programmer friends when I took C that it would improve my problem-solving
skills. I find this insulting. My problem-solving skills are just fine,
thank you. My *programming* problem-solving skills improved when I took this
class, but that's hardly the same thing.

'Logic and precision' are not the sole province of programmers. The truth is
that most writers *can* learn to program. But being able to program is NOT
the same thing as Being A Programmer.

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com