Re: Gender bias in Cyberspace (long)

Subject: Re: Gender bias in Cyberspace (long)
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 19:52:21 -0800

At 01:56 PM 11/13/95 -0600, Gretchen Toth wrote:
>Argh. I can't believe the reporter even quoted this next
>one:

>"[Michael Koppelman, president of Bitstream Underground of
>Mpls says] In general, men are more extroverted online.
>Because men are horny, women tend to get bombarded...
>especially if they use female names."

Why can't you believe this? This is absolutely true. It's *been* true for
the 15 years I've been on the Internet.

>"[Turkle further says]...But [women] get a lot more
>considerate attention than they do when they log on as
>men. Women are offered a lot more help in these
>enviroments."

I also think this is true. I have gotten reasonably technical in the past
two years, and I've found that when I ask questions in the Netcom
newsgroups, a lot of men respond. Partly because I'm female, but also
because they really like explaining stuff to women who understand it.

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com