Re: "Gender bias in Cyberspace"

Subject: Re: "Gender bias in Cyberspace"
From: "Colleen Dancer (02) 333-1862" <DANCER -dot- COLLEEN -at- A2 -dot- ABC -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 10:13:00 +1100

A couple of comments:

First, at university a lot of girls that I knew had male pseudonyms, this
stopped those males that weren't into controlling themselves (mainly on
MUDS etc). I have a problem though with any article that implies all men
are like that, I would say it is a minority (just a vocal one).

Second my experience when conducting surveys, usability tests etc. is
that learning style is not gender related - or at least not noticably.
However it does seem to have a stronger correlation with age and
education. However that is no where near the total answer, just the best
I have got. But there are always the exceptions :)

I haven't found a gender bias in the resources I use as a tech
communicator on the net.

Most of the childrens programs I wouldn't say were male oriented,
particularly story books eg Grandma and me, teaching programs, magic
school bus ... Mind you I only have sisters and we had as much lego and
meccano as dolls, so maybe we wouldn't notice :)

Colleen Dancer
dancer -dot- colleen -at- a2 -dot- abc -dot- net -dot- au