Print on Demand

Subject: Print on Demand
From: "Dimock, Dick" <red -at- ELSEGUNDOCA -dot- ATTGIS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 16:16:00 PST

David,

The reference shelves of most electronics engineers that I have
observed are all filled with the 7" by 8.5" data books. This has
been true for the 20 years I have been using these books and
seeing them used. In my truly humble ;) opinion, you need to
stay with that size. The reference bookshelf is like a grocery store
shelf. Your product competes for space on the shelf. If it has to
go on a different shelf because of its size, you have set your
marketing effort 'way back.

At AT&T GIS we have a central distribution point for the whole
:) ** GLOBAL** ;) company. They do POD for 7x8.5. We send
them a postscript file, they print the books. I don't know what
platform and software and printers they use, but I can find out
for you if you wish. Most likely the gear is spendy, because
this is a high volume (many items) POD house, and needs
good equipment. They probably have their own programmers
also. The quantity runs would rarely exceed 500 at this shop.

I could inquire also if there are any POD vendors this distribution
center contracts with.

We just got the edict from this center that they will no longer
support our A size books! Huffing and Histrionics aside, this
leads me to believe that 7x8.5 is becoming more and more
standard and commonplace.

Check around for print shops that would do POD short runs for
you. They could at least tell you whether anyone in your
area is doing it.

Regards,

Dick Dimock Who notes sagely that his output printer
prints ONLY on demand, in

AT&T GIS Which is investigating the novel approach
of Writing On Demand. Boss demands,
we write. Seems to have some limited
success, here in

El Segundo, CA The city of few demands and in more
infrequent demand. She doesn't ask much.
Pick up your litter, pay your parking meters,
and of course your office square footage tax,
your corporate water tax, oh, and these other
corporate taxes listed on the attached
CD-ROM. Payable On Demand.

richard -dot- dimock -at- elsegundoca -dot- attgis -dot- com