Re: Print On Demand

Subject: Re: Print On Demand
From: Yvonne DeGraw <yvonne -at- SILCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 07:22:39 -0700

David R. Warfield <davidw -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM> asks:

> The publications I provide are revised several times a year and are
> not printed in large volume (maybe 500 at a time). I've been thinking
> about using Print On Demand (POD).

> 1. Any opinions: is the 7 x 9 size a de facto standard for these
> data books?

7x9 is a handy size when you are printing large quantities because the
paper you print on comes in large sheets (28x36 or a little bigger, I
forget the exact numbers). When you print large quantities, you want to fit
a "signature" of 16 pages (32 pages counting both sides) on one sheet and
waste as little paper as possible. 7x9 does this, though the book may end
up a little smaller after they trim the edges.

> If so, how important is it to provide my documents
> in this size? (Will my customers form a negative opinion of the
> product because the documentation is "non-standard" size?)

Probably not. Books vary quite a bit. 7x9 is just a common size, not "THE
STANDARD".

> 2. If it is important to have the smaller size, does this preclude
> POD? Are there POD vendors who can handle different sizes?

When you print on demand and want to save money, your goal is to waste as
little paper as you can using standard paper sizes used in copiers and
Docutechs. POD shops can cut the books after they print them to any size
you want. It's just a cost issue; fewer sheets of paper means less money.

One suggestion is to design pages that are 7" x 8.5". Then, you can print
two pages up on a standard legal size (8.5 x 14) sheet. This cuts your cost
dramatically from the price you would pay for cutting 8.5 x 11 sheets into
a 7x9 book. (Warn the copy shop in advance so they can stock better paper
in the 8.5x14 size.)

Yvonne DeGraw, Technical Services o Web Authoring
yvonne -at- silcom -dot- com o Technical Writing
http://www.silcom.com/~yvonne/ o Database Design and Publishing
Tel: 805/683-5784 o User-Interface Design