Re: Human Factors Interest

Subject: Re: Human Factors Interest
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 13:53:01 -0400

Kara wrote:
>My advisor has
>recommended that I focus on human factors (with a touch of computer
>science) in the technical communication world. I guess I would just really
>like to hear what human factors is all about and how it relates to the
>world of technical communication.

You might want to subscribe to UTEST for a while. It is a listserv that
specializes in usability testing. There's a lot of human factors
discussion there. Lately, most threads have dealt with interface design
issues, but a lot of the material is also relevant for documentation.

I don't have the subscription address handy. I -think- it's
listserv -at- hubcap -dot- clemson -dot- edu -dot- You could also send an email message directly
to the listowner, Dr. Tharon Howard, at Clemson University
(tharon -at- hubcap -dot- clemson -dot- edu).

There are a couple of web and ftp sites that have good human factors
information, with links to other related sites:

ACM SigCHI Home Page
http://www.acm.org/sigchi/.

Georgia Tech's Human-Machine Systems Research Center:
http://www.gatech.edu/aimosaic/chmsr.html

HCI Bibliography Project:
ftp://archive.cis.ohio-state.edu/pub/hcibib

HCI Launching Pad:
http://hydra.bgsu.edu/HCI

Good luck!

@Kat_____ Kat Nagel
MasterWork Consulting Services Rochester, NY
LIFE1 (techwriting/docdesign) katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
LIFE2 (vocal chamber music) PlaynSong -at- aol -dot- com