Re[2]: MAC to PC Converters?

Subject: Re[2]: MAC to PC Converters?
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 06:23:00 -0600

I have to give them DOS files on a DOS disk, but
that's easy to do with most modern Macs (anything more recent than a
Classic, I think).

Sorry, Kat, you have to go back farther than that. ;{>} Any Mac with a 1.4 MB
drive can read, write, or format DOS disks in that drive. This covers just about
any Mac introduced since 1988 or so (I think the last one introduced without
this capability was the original Mac II). Until System 7.5, you needed special
software (shipped free with each and every Mac) called Apple File Exchange in
order to do this. With 7.5 Apple has included Macintosh/PC Exchange, which
allows you to read, write and format DOS disks right there on your desktop, just
like Mac disks.

There's also a package called 'Word for Word' that claims to convert
to/from any Mac or PC format. I haven't bothered with that --- floppies
are considerably less expensive than software!

We use it here. The PC folks we run into generally don't know how to read or
write anything that isn't in their software's native format, so we take on the
extra effort of converting to and from their format. It's such a small effort,
anyway. (Word For Word has 5- and 10-pack licenses. We've bought multiple 5-
packs, as for some reason known only to marketers the 5-pack is cheaper per copy
than the 10-pack. As conversion software goes, it's very good.)

Have fun,
Arlen

arlen -dot- p -dot- walker -at- jci -dot- com
In God we trust, all others must supply data