Removing words from spell checkers

Subject: Removing words from spell checkers
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 1995 11:17:43 -0400

Stacey asked:
>What words do y'all regularly delete from your spell-checkers? And why?

Paul replied:
> I delete nothing. I'm a bad enough speller and write on fairly diverse
>topics so I can't afford to delete anything that I might use.

Actually, some deletions are extremely helpful.

Many times my attack of fumblethumb will produce a perfectly good English
word. It just isn't the word I intended to type. I wind up with things
like 'won' instead of 'own,' 'tow' instead of 'two,' etc. So I delete
'won' and 'tow.'

Sure, that means the spell checker occasionally flags 'tow' unnecessarily
(because it no longer recognizes tow as an acceptable word). On the other
hand, it -does- pick up my common fumbles, which would otherwise sneak
through and embarrass me.

@Kat_____ Kat Nagel
MasterWork Consulting Services Rochester, NY
LIFE1 (techwriting/docdesign) katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
LIFE2 (vocal chamber music) PlaynSong -at- aol -dot- com