WinHelp test plans

Subject: WinHelp test plans
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 22:42:00 +0100

Hello Ken,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Ken Cox an All am 18.11.95

KC> From: kencox -at- user -dot- rose -dot- com (Ken Cox)

KC> I could use some feedback on how your organization tests its
KC> online Help (WinHelp) files.

First I produce a dummy help system. Every topic contains nothing more than
its ID. Using this file the programmers can test their help calls and I can
figure out which ID is accessed where.

During developement I add all IDs as search keywords. Some authoring tools
(e.g. the shareware program Visual Help) offer that possibility.

Another important topic is a clear, simple structure of your help system.
"Author lost in hyperspace" is much more serious than "User lost in
hyperspace".

Finally, you cannot help but test all links as thoroughly as possible -
especially when writing context-sensitive help.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander